Marketplace Checklist for Individuals & Families
If you are uninsured or just want to review your insurance options, the Health Insurance Marketplace will give you and your family choice in health plans. There are seven things you can do to get ready now.
- Learn about different types of health insurance. Through the Marketplace, you’ll be able to choose a health plan that gives you the balance of costs and coverage that is right for you and/or your family.
- Make a list of questions you have before it’s time to choose your health plan. For example, “Can I stay with my current doctor?” or “Will this plan cover my health costs when I’m traveling?”
- Make sure you understand how insurance works, including deductibles, out-of-pocket maximums, co-payments, etc. You’ll want to consider these details while you’re shopping around. Visit www.healthcare.gov to learn how the Affordable Care Act works.
- Start gathering basic information about your household income and last year's tax return. Most people will qualify for a break on costs. You will need your income information to determine how much of a break you may qualify for.
- Set your budget. There will be different health plans with different levels of coverage to meet a variety of needs and budgets. Understanding what the different plans will cover and cost, can help narrow your choices.
- Find out if your employer will offer health insurance, especially if you work for a small business.
- Explore current options. You may be able to get help with insurance now, through existing programs or changes that are in effect already from the new health care law.